Friday, March 21, 2014

I've got a huge stash of yarn in my so-called 'craft room'. Much of it is leftover from previous projects, some of it was purchased with the intent to make something grand, some of it was impulse buying.

I have a big zip-lock bag full of fine, delicate sock yarn, most of it  what they call "self-striping"...the yarns are dyed so that as you knit, patterns or stripes appear. I used to use it to knit tiny capes and things for my little six inch wooden dolls, until I tired of that hobby.

I found a sweet pattern on-line here: http://littlecottonrabbits.typepad.co.uk/free_knitting_patterns/2008/01/knitted-easter.html
 and decided to try it in my sock yarns.

I had two problems initially. Using the size needles indicated made an egg too small for my bigger plastic eggs and too large for the smaller ones. I adjusted for that by added a couple of rows to the middle of the design, which made them fit the large eggs better. I also went up a size in the needles, which made them fit perfectly. I'd have to play with the pattern some more to make it fit the smaller eggs, because I don't think my eyes or fingers can handle anything smaller than a size 2 (2.75mm) needle.

I think these would be great as place cards on an Easter table, with small tags attached with ribbons. Or attached to a wreath, or strung into a garland. I contemplated poking holes in each end of the plastic eggs with a hot nail, so they could be strung on wire for a wreath or garland, but haven't gotten that far yet.

What would you do with them?



No comments:

Post a Comment